Pages

Monday, October 5, 2015

Taco Tuesday

Kierrah and Bella 
Every Tuesday is Taco Tuesday at my mom’s.  We choose Tuesday because it was the only day were the majority of my family are able to get together for dinner. My mom makes a dish involving tacos. Most of the time it’s tacos with different kinds of meat, but we also do tortilla soup or enchiladas. Since my brothers and I and our cousins are 21 or older the requirements for us are we all bring beer (preferably Not Your Father's Root Beer) or wine to share, extras have to stay and we all enjoy the food. My mom is very big on seeing everyone on a regular basis instead of just holidays and it’s a good and fun way to see everyone without the stresses that come with holidays.

My daughters, my little sister, my little cousin and nephews range from two to eight and they all look forward to Taco Tuesdays. I think its cute when they all see each other how all their faces light up when they’re all playing. The kids even have their own kid table and none of them let any parents sit at their table.

Taco Tuesday goes well with my blog topic in the sense about food.  Since my youngest is very picky about only eating chicken, yes we do lie about the taco meat when it’s really not chicken.  Like chicken steak, ground beef chicken, chicken tilapia. Good thing since she’s only five and still pretty gullible. 


Does anyone else have a day of the week where you get together with family?

6 comments:

  1. I find it to be a very neat thing to get together once a week with family to share a traditional weekly meal. While we don't personally do anything like this in my family at the moment, I would really like to try to attempt it in the future. A taco bar type dinner idea goes a long way in my opinion, for similar reasons to what you already stated about having picky eaters around. I think an idea such as this would go a long way at an event such as a tailgate too, especially now during football season. In fact, I may need to write something about this in my own blog, which focuses on how to get the most out of one's Notre Dame Football game day experience (http://goldenisthyfame.blogspot.com/). A build-your-own taco bar would work well to serve a good number of people and allow each individual is to customize their own tacos however they wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A taco bar does sound like a good idea for tailgating.

      Delete
  2. I think that family time is really important. Taco Tuesday seems like it would be fun for all ages and something that a family can look forward to each week. Though my blog is more just about meals I make some kid friendly posts as well. So all friends and family can enjoy different meals and desserts, feel free to check it out at campinghacks.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to spend at least two meals a week with my family, which is increasingly difficult. Its nice to know that there are other families out there that do the same thing. I have to ask though, do you have a specific recipe for your tacos? Are there certain spices you use to make the meat taste in a certain way? I know that tacos are a relatively simple thing to make, and I would like to incorporate my kids as much as I could. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the meat, we have used Tilapia but we call it Tilapia chicken (yes all the kids truly believe this chicken), beef, chicken, ground beef mixed with chorizo. So far the most requested meat is the ground beef and chorizo mix. As for seasonings, we have used turmeric with the meat and it gives the meat a sort of orange-ish color to it. Other than that really just the basics pepper, garlic, onions, etc.

      Delete
  4. i find it hilarious that you lie about the meat, 'ground beef chicken', 'tilapia chicken' that is great and something I do with my nieces and and nephew often, even when I probably shouldn't. I love that it goes back to your roots also, all to your mom's house and that you have fun for the kids and adults. Family is the most important, you can lose everything else but you will still have your family. I look forward to your taco Tuesdays, being a taco fan myself. Can't wait to steal some new recipes for tacos from you, and am sad this initial post did not have one.

    ReplyDelete